Under the Coroners Act of 2003 Coroners are responsible for investigating reportable deaths. A reportable death is where:
- The identity of the deceased is unknown.
- The death was violent or unnatural, i.e., accidents, falls, suicide or drug overdoses.
- The death happened in suspicious circumstances.
- A “cause of death” certificate has not been issued and is not likely to be issued.
- The death was a health care related death.
- The death occurred in care or custody.
- The death occurred as a result of police operations.